Saturday, July 26, 2008

Jerky

I'm the enrichment leader in our ward and as usually, I've made a mountain out of a mole hill. We started losing our connections with one another and felt like we needed to meet together as a whole on a regular basis. So we have a once a month get together.
This month we are doing canning, food preservation, etc.
I volunteered to do beef jerky and fruit leather. (I never really do them, they just sounded like the easiest assignment....wrong).
I called the butcher and got him to slice two roasts for jerky. Never asked the price, the slicing was free, but I ended up with $25 worth of skinny meat. I have a microwave, 2 hour and 12 hour versions.
I may let you know later how everything goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, ignore anyone who tells you to soak it in buttermilk!! My hubster has been making homemade jerky lately, and expiramenting, and buttermilk is the worst idea I've ever tasted!

Mary said...

Thanks, Wendy. I don't know whatever possessed me to volunteer (actually, I do know.....I am a compulsive, non-recovered volunteer).
The microwave jerky, 4 minutes on high, then check every 30 seconds, was apparently not fast enough and I ended up burning it.