Sunday, June 8, 2008

6-7-8 conference

I just attended a fantastic writer's conference put on by Cedar Fort Publishing in Springville Utah. It was a 6 hour conference, but the time flew by. We were given so much good, practical advice. Then we were entertained and inspired by Eloise "Surfer Girl" Owens. We were urged to "Get off the beach." We couldn't stay on the safe beach all of our lives. We needed to move to the water and learn to surf.

After watching Eloise fall off her surf board five times, her instructor asked her where she was going. Annoyed, she told him she was going toward shore. "Why, then," he asked her, "are you looking down instead of at your destination. You always go in the direction you are looking." Defiantly, she stood on her board, just one more time, and set her sights on the shoreline. Without looking back, she made the journey that changed her life.

I was inspired, not to take up surfing (no public swimsuit displays for me) but to get off the beach and find a new writing project. I'm ready to jump in the water.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

She inspired me as well, Mary. It was so great to see you again. Write and keep writing.

Kimberly Job said...

Mary, so glad to see you've joined the land of the 'bloggers'. It was nice to meet you on Saturday.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Mary,
I'm with you on the swimsuit issue ... if I ever learn to surf, I'll be wearing shorts and a t-shirt over my swimsuit. Or surfing in a private pool :)

It was fun seeing you at the Conference. And good job on this blog.

G. Parker said...

Sounds like it was amazing! Good blog! Welcome to the world of blogging...grin

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Wow! I really missed out. Maybe I can make it next year!

It's great to see you out here in blogland, Mary. :)

Cathy said...

It sounds like a great conference Mary. I'm sad I missed it.
Welcome to the world of blogging!

Beee said...

This is a little intimidating. I've been blogging for a while, but alas, alak, alar, alat, alam. . . you have so many more hits on yours than I will probably ever have on mine. Actually, I am pretty good with that. My blogs can tend to be on the boring side, I don't have tons of friends that know I have a blog, let alone even comment on my blog. Well, welcome to blog land. Hey, does this mean that the tag that Meg got, thinking it was you, you now need to take the tag and run with it?